There are many different ways to donate your time to HAVEN with varying levels of commitment. Choose the option that best fits your schedule!
Volunteer in Client Advocacy
- Check in with HAVEN staff on the date of your shift to assess current issues on site.
- Answer Crisis Hotline, record data on contact sheet.
- As needed, check clients in an emergency situation into shelter. This will include: getting client safely to shelter, client intake paperwork, checking in medications and/or personal items, preparing the room, providing client with necessary provisions, and as needed, stocking the shelter with emergency provisions.
- Orient client to the shelter, provide advocacy including information and referral.
- Follow volunteer responsibilities guidelines as outlined.
- Record any site concerns and discuss immediately with Client Advocate.
- Record volunteer hours and signature on a nightly basis in the log provided.
- Participate in in-service meetings and coordination meetings with the Client Advocate.
- Assist with special projects as requested by Client Advocate during your shift.
Due to the severity of the issue and confidentiality of our clients, client advocacy volunteers must attend 30 hours of domestic violence training in order to volunteer. Our next available training is to be determined. Volunteers are asked to commit no less than 2 shifts per month to HAVEN. Please submit an application to our AmeriCorps Vista by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next volunteer training for client advocacy will begin on Wednesday, April 3, 2013. It will be an 8 week long training, held every Wednesday evening from 5:30-7:30, and culminating in a Saturday day-long training and celebration.
» Download full list of responsibilities (Microsoft Word document, 0.5 MB)
Volunteer as a Board Member
HAVEN’s Board of Directors is currently full. Please check back for open positions in the future. The Board of Directors meets once a month and oversees the organization’s operations, budget and human resources. Board members are required to be on the planning committee of one of our two annual fundraising events.
» Download our Board of Directors job descriptions (Microsoft Word file, 0.6 MB)
Volunteer to Plan Annual Fundraising Events
HAVEN has three annual fundraising events, Drop and Trot, Mother’s Day Run and Taste of HAVEN. Drop and Trot is a 10k, 5k and Family Fun Run in the end of September. The Planning Committee secures sponsorships, deals with logistics and publicity. Mother’s Day is our newest event, a 5k run held on (you guessed it!) Mother’s Day of each year. The committee helps secure sponsorships and works to market the event throughout the community. Taste of HAVEN is a formal benefit event with heavy appetizers and wine. Committee members will help with obtaining silent auction items, entertainment, and planning logistics. To join a planning committee, please call Erica at HAVEN (406) 586-7689
Volunteer your Professional Services
If you have skills or services that you think may be of use to HAVEN, please call. We are currently looking for professionals in carpentry, painting, and general shelter maintenance and upkeep. If you would like your service to be “on call” for the shelter or office needs such as computer help, electrical problems, snow removal, roofing, plumbing etc., please let us know.
Volunteer your time as an educator or ambassador to your community
HAVEN believes strongly in the power of prevention. Spreading the word about the prevalence of domestic violence in Gallatin County and HAVEN services is incredibly important. This is a very flexible way to give your time. You will be educated by a HAVEN advocate on how to give presentations about domestic violence. You will then be able to give presentations on HAVEN’s behalf to various community groups. Community groups could include your church, book club, cooking club, co-workers, group of friends, extended family, parent’s association, etc. We will provide you with all the necessary training and materials. To educate yourself and others, call HAVEN (406) 586-7689.